Monday, January 17, 2011

Post Season Thinking, Part 2

Points Per Reception League

I won't say that I never had a chance, but really, I didn't.  I thought I changed my Draft strategy enough to get some good players, and while I did, this league can be a beast at times.  With teams regularly scoring over 100 points I think my average was around 65 or 70 at most.  I was able to pull off a few impressive victories over some well established teams. 

I have a few good players to build on for next year.  I thought I had a few for this year but they mostly turned out to be busts.  I have already dumped them off.  I have a couple of good players that I can use to try and make a trade or two, we even trade for draft picks so if I don't get a home run on a player I can possibly get a few more picks in. 

I am positive that I will keep my players from Green Bay, Rodgers and Jennings.  When those two had good games, they equal about half of my entire teams output.  Even on a bad week, they still scored me lots of points.  I was told by another guy in the league that, other teams in the league would kill for them.  Basically one TD equals 6 points for each guy, not even counting all the yardage and catches every game. 

So, now I get to play the trading game.  There was a flurry of offers that came about heading into the play-offs.  All the big teams that made it in wanted to stock up on good players to help them make it through.  I turned down about 6 or 7 offers.   They all wanted Rodgers and/or Jennings.  Of course, I was making all kinds of offers, none of them involving either of those 2.  I was trying to get someone who was desperate enough to make a trade with me for someone that I probably will not keep going into next season.  That didn't happen.

So, for right now, all my hope lies on doing good research this off-season and even paying attention to the NFL Draft this spring.  Landing a coveted rookie is always a good start, some young player that will land on a decent team that will provide lots of scoring opportunities.  I may only keep a few guys in hopes of getting a few high picks and grabbing a couple of good running backs, heck, they don't even need to be that good, just better then what I had this time.  I ended my season starting the 3rd string running backs from San Diego and Arizona, yes, I was that hard up. 

Oh yeah, almost forgot.  I have both Seattle running backs.  Should I even think about keeping just 1?  Should I be locked up for wanting to keep both?  I think Lynch showed something of a spark late this year.  Maybe that will be enough for someone to offer a trade for him.  I'm not sure I would draft him so why would I keep him?  That's what I was thinking when I kept Marion Barber and Ronnie Brown this season.  I'm sure I will be pulling some hair out in the days leading up to the next Draft.  But that's part of all the fun.  Its a big gamble.  Deal me in.

No comments:

Post a Comment