Saturday, August 13, 2011

Smart Phone Overload, Photon 4G?

We currently have cell service with Sprint.  When we switched over from Verizon we got new phones, of course.  We went with the free ones that you can order online.  We got the Sprint Sanyo.  I guess you can call it a smart phone.  You are supposed to be able to run apps, e-mail and browse the web with it.  I tried a few times and it was way slow and very hard to read on the small screen, maybe a 2 inch screen, if that?  It cannot play any video and will usually only run text versions of web sites.  Of course at the time, we were usually just using the phones as a phone, imagine that!

Over the course of the last few years since switching to Sprint, a few things have changed.  Last year we got the Apple Ipod Touch, to upgrade over the older Ipod Video we had.  Very nice upgrade.  Plays video, movies, pictures, tons of apps are available, oh yeah, and it plays music too.  So as the upgrades have been rolling out for the smart phones, we have seen many of the features we love with the Ipod now available in a cell phone.  This makes the Sanyo seam VERY dated, which it is now.  Its almost a pain to leave the house and drag the cell phone with.  Some days I don't even want to look at it.  When I do make a call, the reception is bad.  We are constantly dropping calls and have severe lag, sometimes when we send a text message, it will arrive 5 to 15 minutes later.  Very annoying. 

As the contract renewal gets closer, I started looking at some of the new smart phones on the market now.  A few months ago, I was set on getting an HTC.  It helped that someone that I worked with bought one and loved it.  Did my research and liked what I saw.  Then came the HTC 3D.  I looked into this one mainly for the performance upgrades it had.  The main selling point was the 3D, but I'm not sold on that for a phone just yet (do the calls come through in 3D?  How does that work?)  But it was a big upgrade over the HTC as far as performance goes.  Dual Core processor, fast load times and can run on 4G.  I thought for sure this is what I would be getting. 

Then, just on a hunch, I searched online for some newer smart phones and came across the Sprint Photon 4G.  It had all the performance upgrades I wanted that the 3D phone had and was getting great reviews so far.  Looks like it can do everything that I'm looking for in a new phone.  I even read that customers that were experiencing "dead spots" with Sprint, were having better reception and call clarity with this new phone.  That's important, since, like many people, we got rid of our home phone and just have our cell phones. 

I started comparing a few of these smart phones together.  It can be a little overwhelming, especially when you see what we have now and what we could end up with.  I'm sure I'll be happy with what ever I get but I want to have something that I'll like for a couple of years, at least, since I never get a new phone until I can get that contract renewal deal.  So what ever I pick it will have to serve me for at least 2 years!  Right now, the Photon is my front runner.  I'm looking forward to being able to upload a picture or video to Facebook and have it load right away rather then a few hours or even days later.  And to take better pictures, so many awesome photo ops have been ruined by an old (1.3 MP) and slow camera.  Social Networking, here I come! HAHA!

No comments:

Post a Comment