Sunday, August 29, 2010

Post Draft - Again

OK, so another Draft in the books.  And to be honest, I'm not really sure how I feel about my team this time around.  I'm sure I will do OK (I've only had one year were I didn't make the playoffs), but how exciting and fun will it be? 

I should mention that I feel like I drafted a really good team this year.  But that time came around in Draft when you have a player with good stats and the promise of more good stats sitting there, mocking you, so I jumped on it.  I picked up a running back that I probably wouldn't have any other time.  That, of course, set off a chain reaction down the line of potential picks that got thrown out the window.  I don't like to have too many players from one team.  I've done it before and unless that team just explodes and puts up huge numbers each game, its usually not a good thing.  So,I drafted the Steelers starting running back.  I am not a Steelers fan and I'm not a big fan of this player.  BUT, like any team owner doing his research, I know that the Steelers are a running team and they will run the ball, a lot.  For my second pick in the Draft to have a running back still available that is a starter on a run first offense, I couldn't pass that up. 

I would like to say that my drafting of Vikings running back, Peterson, was a well thought out and planned move on my part.  But I would be lying.  Having the second pick on the Draft kind of makes that first pick a little easier.  Who ever didn't go with the first pick was going to be mine.  Of course, I would rather have the other guy, but whatever, Peterson puts up numbers and that's what I need.  Other teams that have picked up Peterson have gone on to do very well, I hope he can hang on and give me some of that love also.  I tried to get a good supporting cast built around him.  He is the foundation.  Let's just hope he brings home the bacon.

While other owners were picking up big name players at other positions, I stuck with my strategy.  Having kept a close eye on the last minute injury updates and team signings, I was able to skip a few names down the lines and grab those players that are primed and poised to make my team formidable.  I've made the playoffs nearly every season.  I have not won a championship in a long time.  I feel this team has a good a chance as any other I've had to make that happen this year.  I want my team to do some damage, not just go .500 and limp into the playoffs like many of the last years.  I tried a new thing this year and didn't go after any back up players, I figured I will grab some undrafted players when I need them.  I didn't want to waste a draft pick on an unproven player.  While those other owners were drafting back up QBs and Tight Ends, I got what I needed at those positions and moved on to the meat of the Draft. 

Other owners taking back ups left a void for the drafting of higher ranked Running Backs and Wide Receivers.  Which, I hope, I took advantage of.  I feel like I drafted my best team of WRs in a long time.  Usually after a few weeks into the season, the WR position is one that I am never happy with and on a weekly basis have to pull guys off the waiver wire to Frankenstein my line up for the week.  Although it is kind of fun to grab a player that is un-drafted and start him before he really gets his numbers up.  Makes you feel like you know something the other guys don't.

All that being said, how I feel about this team will show in the coming weeks.  Last season I set a personal record that I don't want to revisit, 6 losses in a row.  Sure, I finished the season strong and made the playoffs, but still, after that 5th and 6th loss, you start to question everything.  The big question is, "Is it too soon to start drafting for next season?".  Let's all hope for a good end to the Pre-Season games, no injuries, so more suspensions and no more cuts.  I've never been plagued by the injury bug, as some teams do, but my players usually end up not performing as well as they should.  My fingers are crossed that at least a few of these guys pan out. 

Oh yeah, someone did take Brett Favre.  It wasn't me.  I had my eye on him, of course.  But he may help another team out more then he would have helped mine.  Another goal I have for this season is to finally replace my Favre jersey with a Rodgers one.  Still feels a little weird, rooting for my Packers and wearing the jersey of a guy that is playing for a division rival.  I will always keep the jersey but the team comes first.  And Rodgers is the man that will lead us to a Super Bowl win.  Its a good time to be a Packer fan and a fan of football. 

Hope all your Drafts go/went well.  Good luck this season. 

MiketheTripp

1 comment:

  1. I am hoping for playoffs and a WIN for the championship game! Which means prize money right?! :-)
    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete