Monday, August 23, 2010

Post draft blues

OK, we've all been there.  The first few hours after the big Draft. Was anything really accomplished? Any new ground broken?  More of the same, just different names? 

I left with my head held high.  I wouldn't call it the best hand picked pool of players, but really, not too shabby.  Sure, I did miss out on a few guys that I really wanted, but with anything, you don't want to reach too soon or too late.  Too soon and you are left looking like a little fan boy coveting a name.  Reach too late and you are left with a player you had to settle for and who wants that. 

There in lies my dilemma.  I have probably the best(statistically speaking) QB already on my roster.  At some point I would need a back up, even if it was just to cover a bye week.  My starter takes a lot of punishment and many experts expect him to miss at least a few starts this year, be still my heart!  Knock on wood, if that should happen, what kind of tough little spot would I be in?  I think I covered it well enough. I took Bret Favre.  I received a few small short chuckles with that pick.  Will anyone really understand a pick like that?  Was I being fan boy for just a few minutes?  Favre got me into this amazing game called Football.  The Packers have always been my team, but Favre was the man. 

I remember watching that team develop.  The team getting better and better over the years.  Winning more and more games, going further and further into the play-offs.  Having my little heart broken by the Cowboys and their stupid indoor stadium(Favre was never an "in door" QB).  The 49ers and their stupid everything.  Watching all that and having it some to fruition with a Super Bowl win was just amazing.  So I take Favre.  I take Favre with a little part of me still holding on to those memories.  Of course, it does help that he had his best season ever last year. 

I sat and watched as the other owners took players based on many other things.  After all, heart doesn't win you a championship.  How can I pass up a player that has given me so much over the years?  I couldn't.  No one else wanted him. He was mine.  Have a seat on my team, Mr.Favre.  You may not start that many games but like in real life, just having you part of the team makes for a better experience.  I feel better having a guy on my team that has NEVER missed a start. EVER.  Do you know anyone that in 20 years on the job has not called in sick at least once?  Not me.  Am I gushing a little bit here?  Maybe.  Let's move on.

New league with new rules.  Keepers.  Points Per Reception.  Flex Positions.  What? Flex Position?  Is that like Yoga?  No matter how the Draft went, the first few games will be looked at with the most scrutiny.  By everyone.  Was I a good guy to bring in to this close knit group of friends?  How well do I really understand the game?  How well do I fit in here?  Only time will tell.  Its only a game.  In the end its all about having fun.  The Draft has already given me that.  I cannot wait until the season starts.  I paid my money, give me my fun!

In the Re-Draft League, I got the 2nd pick of the Draft.  I think its obvious what will happen with that first pick.  There are 2 of the best running backs sitting atop every one's Draft board.  I will take the guy that doesn't go first.  Then it gets interesting.  Its a serpentine Draft.  First pick, all the way down to the tenth pick then all the way back up.  So many players will be picked before I get a second pick.  I started to panic at first.  Then it sank in.  No sweat.  The players that end up on top of the rankings each year usually were not there the year before.  I have quite a bit of research to do but I'm sure I can walk away with a great team.  Who is on their way up and who is on their way down?  That's where the problem is.  Its all like throwing darts.  If I can hit the board, I'll be happy.

OK, enough of the rambling.  Time to get ready for the next Draft.  Let the fun begin and continue until sometime in February.

MiketheTripp

No comments:

Post a Comment